Living a life by faith is humbling. You have to say, "I can't do this on my own" everyday.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Copy Cai



So, I have been teaching my little nephew, Micaiah, some new things I am sure his mother is so very grateful for.

I taught him how to smack his forehead and say, "Doh!" ... everyone needs a little Homer...

I taught him how to do squinty-eyes and wide-eyes. (Oh man... It's hi-larious!)

I taught him how to master the the 'Cheers!' and the 'clink!' that comes after it. (I think his mom started that one....)

And best of all... I am teaching him how to feed my dog. Everyday, I go over to the baker's cart and pull Hilda's bowl out with my foot. (Who wants to touch a slimy dog bowl? Not me!) Then I get the cup and pour the food in the bowl. I say 'ok' and Hilda comes to eat. Then, when she is done, I push the bowl back under the cart and wash my hands.

Oh Micaiah.... he is sooooo funny!
The other day I asked him if he wanted to feed Hilda.
He went over to the cart, stuck his little foot under the cart,
and pulled out her bowl....with his foot.
Then he walked over to the bag and waited for me to give
him the food, took it to her dish and poured it in. (We are still
working on putting the cup back but... it's coming) When she is done,
he pushes the bowl back under the cart and goes to the
sink with me to wash his hands.
He is so advanced!

You know... I never told him to get the bowl out with his foot.
I never told him to push the bowl back under.
He just did it.
Because he saw me do it.
I absolutely love that....and I'm terrified of it at the same time.

He learns so fast! What an influence I am for this little life!

In his short little life so far, he has had to learn EVERYTHING! Walking, talking (soon), how to pick something up, what not to touch, how to dance (even though he is totally BFABB! ... born from a boom box!), how to use a spoon, what no means, what 'I love you' means, what food he likes and dislikes, what a dog is, how to ask for more.... I think you get the picture. But have you thought about babies before like that? They are like an empty canvass waiting to have a colorful and vibrant life.

And I influence that.

Do I give him bright colors for his canvass? What if I splash grey hues his way? When he watches me, what does he see and paint in that growing mind? What an awesome responsibility I have.
It makes me think, and rethink about everything I do. It makes me think about how, just like Cai is copying the tiny details like moving the dog bowl with his foot---that is how I should be copying Jesus. Down to the last detail.

Lord, I pray that I would be an example for my nephews that makes you proud. I pray that they would imitate me as I strive to imitate you. May my life reflect you so that when my nephews do what I do....they do what YOU do.


No comments:

Post a Comment